Sunday, September 9, 2012

THE FIRST MINIMALIST STEP


This is the first time I feel such an uncontrollable desire to make changes in my life.  I’m not a good writer.  I worked hard to get my Bachelor’s degree and land my first full-time job in advertising.  Due to lower-class income and desperation, I sought after a sign, any damn sign that would lead me to a place of stability and financial security.  I didn’t care where I ended up. I just kept following the signs until I reached the finish line. The place I found: the Advertising Industry.  I’ve been here for roughly 7 months (not including the year-long internship to prove I belonged) and I don’t make enough to move out of my aunt and uncle’s attic.  I didn't anticipate such tight deadlines, so many presentations and ongoing projects.  In this struggling economy, work is still available, but teams are small and stretched thin. The hours are long, so I’m usually too tired to enjoy hobbies and friends the way I want.  Every Sunday night, I spent half the night worrying how I’m going to make it through the next week. 
I knew I’d feel proud about telling friends and family my ‘Ad Executive’ title.  What I didn't know was that taking the time to stop and listen to what my head and heart were telling me would take me to where I belonged.  I thought I didn't have time to think.  I saw a light and went for it!

This first week is BIG. 

Deciding to make a significant change is the first step.

Clearing my life of all needless distractions. The clothes. Books. Childhood memorabilia.  These are the first on the sorting list where I’ll “Trash, Treasure, or Transfer” just like Francine Jay recommends in her book, The Joy of Less, A Minimalist living Guide. I will declutter, organize and simplify my life.  Less stuff. Less stress. More freedom. 
Sounds like a good place to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment